Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Fondant, Oh my!

This cake looks like it was for a pretty young girl whose bedroom is pink and yellow. Actually it was for my 39 year old sister! This was an experiment with fondant ok? She really didn't mind. I think. I was really going for yellow daisies. I was gonna layer the petals and make big fabulous daises. Then decided to throw a little pink in the mix. Why not? Then when the fondant just didn't work thinner. ARGHHH, I just went with chunky ones. There ain't a thing wrong with chunky. The homemade fondant recipe I used is like buttercream and amazing!



I tried to add more powdered sugar to my work surface (dining room table). Hoping it would toughen up and not tear because I wanted them thinner. This resulted in the fondant drying out and cracking. So the recipe I am using is missing something. What? Gelatin? Tylose powder? Should I just try gum paste? My inner creative, crafty and artsy self is aching for a medium! So the hunt is on! Very soon I am gonna make some gum paste, homemade of course. If it doesn't turn out tasty I may have to tweak it. I could find something in between the two. A must for me is that it must taste good. It must be able to be consumed without chipping a tooth. I am up for the challenge with several cake orders in my future I must forge on. If you all have great recipes and know exactly what it is I am searching high and low for. Please clue me in. I know I am a rookie, but I have potential. I just know it down in my knower. Now picture Jim Carrey in Pet Ventura at the mental hospital with a pink tutu on and his hair in pig tails. " I'm ready to go in coach, just give me a chance coach, I know I can do it!" I will keep you all up to date, post photos and commentary.



















































































No comments:

Post a Comment